Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sowing & Reaping Good Things

Allan and I had just finished helping Pop-pop and Gramme (my folks) replace their stove. We're on the way home, and I said to Allan ...

"Allan, do you know why I helped Pop-pop?"

Allan: "Because you love him."

Me: "That's true. But there's another reason."

Allan: "Honor your father and mother?"

Me: "That's another great reason why I'm helping my dad. But I was thinking of another reason."

Allan: "I don't know."

Me: "I'm sowing what I want to reap."

Now that reason wasn't immediately transparent so I explained that some day I'm going to be old and need Allan to help me. So, I'm sowing help to my Dad as his son, so I will reap help from my son.

That led to Gal. 6:7 "Be not deceived, God is not mocked. Whatever a man sows, that shall he also reap."

"You know, Allan, there are three laws of reaping.
1. You reap after you sow.
2. You reap what you sow.
3. You reap more than you sow."

... and I explained that with sowing green beans and then applied it to helping my Dad.

Perhaps it was on the heavy side, but I don't think teaching the laws of the harvest can be done too early. Nor do I think it always has to be in a negative context.

When you sow to the Spirit, you still reap after you sow, what you sow, and more than you sow!

What are some ways you've help teach your children the laws of reaping?

No comments:

Post a Comment